Light Rain Fog/Mist
44°FLight Rain Fog/MistFull Forecast

Hebron house fire blamed on cooking oil

HEBRON – Smoke detectors alerted residents to a fire late Tuesday.

The occupants of the home at 9622 Illinois St. told fire officials they had left cooking oil unattended on the stove, sparking the fire.

The two occupants, who rented the home, were outside when rescue crews arrived. There were no injuries.

Fire crews were dispatched to the home at 11:11 p.m. Tuesday and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the kitchen.

The Hebron-Alden-Greenwood Fire Department immediately went to a mutual aid box alarm, summoning at least 60 firefighters from surrounding departments.

The majority of the fire damage was limited to the two-bedroom ranch-style home’s kitchen and entryway, but there was significant smoke damage throughout the home, said Lt. Rick Madsen of the Hebron-Adlen-Greenwood Fire Department,

The fire took about 45 minutes to extinguish. Fire crews were on scene for about 2 1/2 more hours, Madsen said.

A dollar estimate of the loss was unavailable, and it was unclear whether the renters had insurance. The displaced occupants will be staying with family members.

Fire crews from Richmond, Wonder Lake, Spring Grove and Woodstock, Harvard, Bloomfield, Wis., Lake Geneva, Wis., Linn Township, Wis., Randall, Wis., and Twin Lakes, Wis., as well as the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office responded to the fire.


Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.


Reader Poll

When do you think this Congress will be ready to take a vote on health care?
Within a few months
Later this year
More than a year