McHENRY – The McHenry County College Shah Center offers instructor led, hands-on training at its facility at 4100 W. Shamrock Lane, McHenry. Other locations are indicated. To register, call 815-455-8588 or visit www.mchenry.edu. For more information and course outlines call 815-455-8593 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Many courses qualify for an Employer Training Investment Program grant reimbursement up to 50 percent for eligible companies and can be delivered on-site.
TUESDAY, JULY 10
• 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (continued July 11 and from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 12): Forklift Train the Trainer at Nissan Forklift Corp., Marengo. This comprehensive “Train-the-Trainer” class will prepare your company’s trainer, safety department staff, human resource department, or supervisors to present the one-day Powered Industrial Truck (forklift) training class. Cost (including materials and lunch): $1,000. Register using course ID: NTE S55 001.
• 6 to 8 p.m.: CDL-A Summer Information Sessions with Eagle Training Services, Room B168 in McHenry County College, 8900 Route 14, Crystal Lake. These free sessions are intended for anyone interested in signing up for MCC and Eagle’s four-week training program that runs monthly from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Eagle yard in Lake in the Hills. Must be 18, read and write in English and have a valid driver’s license. Information: Ruth Kormanek, 815-479-7879; email@example.com.
• 6 to 8 p.m.: Starting A Business In Illinois – An important seminar for anyone interested in starting their own business. Cost: $25. Illinois Small Business Development Center, 4100 W. Shamrock Lane in McHenry. Information/registration: 815-455-6098 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 11
• 6 to 8 p.m.: Marketing Roundtable: – This free seminar collaboratively discusses various approaches to marketing and apply the strategies to your business. ISBDC, 4100 W. Shamrock Lane, McHenry. There is no fee to attend, but call to reserve your spot. Information: 815-455-6098; email@example.com.
MONDAY, JULY 16
• 8 a.m. to noon (continues July 23): Access 2007: Basic – Microsoft Office Access – This relational database system that helps you track and report information with ease. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S74 001.
• 1 to 5 p.m. (continues July 23): Access 2010: Basic. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S81 001.
TUESDAY, JULY 17
• 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. (continues July 24 ): Excel 2007: Basic – Create and format spreadsheets, and analyze and share information to make more informed decisions. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S48 001.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 18
• 8 a.m. to noon (continues through Aug.15): Welcome to the World of Computers – This five-week course provides an uncomplicated way for computer novices to learn how to use computers, the Windows operating system, the Internet, email basics, and word processing using Microsoft Word 2010. The course ends with a discussion of webmail, email attachments, and email security including scams, phishing, and spam. Cost:s $325. Register using course ID: NTC S15 001.
• 1 to 4 p.m.: Short Shots-Word 2010 Tracking Changes and Sharing Documents – This three-hour class introduces users to special features used when more than one person works on a file. Learn to use comments, keep track of changes to a document, accept or reject suggested changes, compare documents, combine documents, and protect a document from unauthorized changes. Prerequisite: Word 2010 Basic or equivalent experience. Cost: $65. Register using course ID: NTC C04 001.
• 5 to 9 p.m. (continues July 25) Microsoft Outlook 2007 Basic – Manage email, calendars, contacts, tasks, to-do lists, and documents or files on the hard drive. Outlook helps you communicate through email, phone support and group scheduling capabilities. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S70 001.
THURSDAY, JULY 19
• 8 a.m. to noon (continues July 26) PowerPoint 2007: Basic – Create high-pact, dynamic presentations, while integrating workflow and ways to easily share information. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S89 001.
• 1 to 5 p.m. (continues July 26) PowerPoint 2010: Basic. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S78 001.
FRIDAY, JULY 20
• 8 a.m. to noon (continues Friday, July 27) Excel 2007: Intermediate. Microsoft Excel is a powerful tool you can use to create and format spreadsheets, and analyze and share information to make more informed decisions. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S49 001.
• 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (continues July 21 and 22): Coding Certification Exam Boot Camp, Room A112. This three-day preparatory boot camp will provide students with an extensive overview of the information needed to pass the Certified Professional Code or Certified Professional Coder-Hospital exam. It does not teach students how to code, but reviews essential information and provides indispensable strategies and tips that will boost the chance of passing the exam. Students should have at least two years of coding experience prior to taking the exam or attending this course. Cost (including textbook, continental breakfast, lunch and snacks): $999. Information: MaryAnn Dimitrov, 847-915-0360. Register by July 13 by calling 815-455-8588. Use course ID: QHC C11-001.
• 12:30 to 5 p.m. (continues Friday, July 27) Excel 2010: Intermediate. Microsoft Excel is a powerful tool you can use to create and format spreadsheets, and analyze and share information to make more informed decisions. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S43 001.
SATURDAY, JULY 23
• 8 a.m. to noon (continues July 30): Word 2007: Intermediate – Ceate and share documents by combining a comprehensive set of writing tools. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S95 001.
• 12:30 p.m.: Cleaning Solutions by Kristi Butkus is offering “Clean Kids” class, Cary Park District, 255 Briargate Road. First and second grades until 1 p.m.; grades three and four from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.; and grades five and six from 3 to 4 p.m. Learn through discussion and a hands-on craft activity of teaching the importance of healthy hand hygiene. Each student will receive information and goodies. Washable poster paint and water will be used so dress for a messy project. Registration is required. Call the park district, 847-639-6100 or visit www.carypark.com.
• 1 to 5 p.m. (continues July 30) Word 2010: Intermediate. Microsoft Word. Cost: $155. Register using course ID: NTC S26 001.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 25
• 1 to 4 p.m.: Short Shot Word 2010: Tables and Macros – Create tables and format them using using table styles. Features such as captions, sorting, and calculating totals are included. Macros can be used to perform everyday tasks quicker and easier. Prerequisite: Word 2010 Basic or equivalent experience. Cost: $65. Register using course ID: NTC S94 002.
• 6 to 8 p.m.: Social Media Roundtable – Meet once a month with your peers to discuss the latest trends in social media marketing and share various approaches with each other. A social media professional will help facilitate the discussion and be available for questions Free. Illinois Small Business Development Center at McHenry County, 4100 W. Shamrock Lane, McHenry. Information: 815-455-6098; firstname.lastname@example.org.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 26
• 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. (continues through Aug. 23): Welcome to Microsoft Office 2010: An uncomplicated way for beginners to learn how to use Office 2010. The five-week course features a gentle introduction to the Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and covers the Windows operating system. This course reinforces learning with plenty of illustrations and practical, hands-on projects and exercises. Cost: $325. Register using course ID: NTC S14 001.
FRIDAY, JULY 27
• 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Forklift Operator Training – Students learn to operate a lift truck in a correct and professional manner. Trucks covered in the training are: Industrial Truck Association (ITA) Class 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Cost: $125. Class at Nissan Forklift Corp. NA in Marengo. Register using course ID: NTE S54 001.
TUESDAY, JULY 31
• 8 am. to noon (continued Tuesdays through Sept.11): Frontline Leadership Series – The Shah Center is partnering with Development Dimensions International using DDI curriculum and certified instructors. Course topics include: Essentials of Leadership, July 31; Working as a High Performance Team, Aug. 7; Motivating Others, Aug. 14; Building Winning Partnerships, Aug. 21; Making Meetings Work, Aug. 28; Managing Performance Problems, Sept. 4; and Rapid Decision Making, Sept. 11. Cost: $155 each, $922 for series. Register using course ID: NTL S24 001.
CLC offers sales degree
GRAYSLAKE – The College of Lake County is developing a new Associate in Applied Science degree program in sales, starting Aug. 20.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projected 15.6 percent employment growth for sales representatives between 2010 and 2020. Because of this promising outlook, sales representative ranks 20th on U.S. News and World Report’s Best Jobs of 2012.
To learn more about the sales field and CLC’s new degree program, attend an information session at 6 p.m. Aug. 6 in Room T220 at the CLC Grayslake campus, 19351 W. Washington St.
For more information, call 847-543-2041 or visit www.clcillinois.edu/depts/pub/careerprograms/bus_sales.pdf
persons for a variety of industries, CLC surveyed Lake County businesses and worked with local employers. The degree is designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge to be great salespersons. The program culminates with a real-world sales internship to help make students stand out from other job applicants. The new 60-64 credit hour program includes general education and business administration coursework as well as 21 credits chosen from a specific sales concentration.