State

Crews battle blaze 
at plastics facility

ZION – Authorities say part of Zion was evacuated as hazardous fumes broke out from a fire at a plastics facility.

No injuries were reported Sunday.

Crews were called to Maine Plastics in Zion about 7 a.m. after reports of smoke. Officials say it was elevated to a three-alarm fire by 9 a.m. Pallets containing plastics products and cardboard were on fire inside a gated area.

Zion Fire Chief John Lewis said the plastic contains acetol, a chemical that gives off formaldehyde. He said an evacuation was ordered in the vicinity. The evacuation was canceled by noon.

The company’s website said it’s a buyer and seller of plastics, metals and uncommon materials.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.