Overcast
33°FOvercastFull Forecast

Fire damages East Dundee thrift store

EAST DUNDEE - An East Dundee thrift store is closed after an afternoon fire severely damaged the front of the building, according to fire officials.

More than 25 departments from throughout the area were called at around 1 p.m. Thursday to assist with the fire at Community Thrift Store, 900 E. Main St.

The additional crews were used to ensure the safety of the firefighters involved due to near record-high temperatures in the area that included a triple-digit high for the first time in more than seven years.

“The fire wasn’t that serious, but we needed to have enough people there to take care of ourselves,” Chief Steve Schmitendorf said. “Even working on something like that, in that kind of heat you are going to have some issues.”

Crews arrived and reportedly found smoke and flames showing from the front of the building. The fire was contained to the front of the building in about 30 minutes.

All employees and patrons of the business were evacuated after the sprinkler system activated, and one person was transported to Sherman Hospital in Elgin with non-life threatening injuries.

Some firefighters experienced fatigued, but with the extra help and the use of cooling stations, they were given more frequent breaks, according to Schmitendorf.

The building and its contents sustained extensive smoke, fire and water damage.

The investigation is ongoing, but it does not appear to be suspicious in nature, he said.

Comments

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Comments

Reader Poll

How much money have you spent shopping on Black Friday?
$50 or less
$51-$100
$101-$200
$201-$500
More than $500