This year's drought sure is not easing up on us in Illinois. When in drought times, we become more aware of our water usage. But there are steps we all can take to be good water stewards in good times and bad.
• Refrain from pouring water down the drain - instead use it to water houseplants or outdoor plants.
• Use left overcoffee for houseplant watering.
• Be conscious of the number of dishes used when cooking to eliminate extra washing needs.
• Reduce energy needs - yes, the two are linked!
• Harvest rainwater (when it does rain) for watering needs.
• Replace showers, toilets, and faucets with low flow fixtures.
• Run dishwashers and washing machines only when full.
– Cassandra McKinney, director, Green Economy and Sustainable Water Center