Centegra Health System offers teen heart screenings
McHENRY – Centegra Health System offers echocardiogram heart screenings for teens ages 13 to 18.
The screening is an ultrasound of the heart that can help detect heart defects and abnormalities, even when no symptoms are present.
These screenings will be from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Centegra Physician Care locations on the Centegra Wellness on the Move mobile health unit for $85 on the following dates:
• Sept. 5 at Centegra Physician Care – Crystal Lake, 360 Station Drive
• Sept. 10 at Crystal Physician Care – Huntley, 10350 Haligus Road
• Oct. 3 at Centegra Physician Care – Woodstock, 3707 Doty Road
• Oct. 8 at Centegra Physician Care – Crystal Lake, 360 Station Drive
• Oct. 22 at Centegra Physician Care – Huntley, 10350 Haligus Road
Many active teenagers do not show symptoms of heart abnormalities, yet may be at risk for cardiac arrest or death.
Many cases of sudden cardiac death in teenagers can be prevented with a proper heart screening.
ECHO heart screening requirements include completion of a pre-screening questionnaire, parental or guardian consent and presence of a parent or guardian at the screening. All forms can be found at centegra.org/echo. Comfortable clothing should be worn for the screening.
Dr. R. David Halstead, a pediatric cardiologist with Centegra Physician Care-McHenry, interprets the ECHO heart screenings. Results will mailed to a parent within one week of a screening.