ISLAND LAKE – A child set fire to toilet papers rolls and a dispenser Friday in an elementary school bathroom, causing smoke damage there and in an adjoining hallway, authorities said.
The juvenile admitted to using a match to set the fire, Island Lake police said. The child was released to his or her parents.
“All students and staff exited the building in a safe and orderly fashion,” Superintendent Daniel Coles said in a news release. “There were no injuries and everyone is safe.”
Principal Darlene Baker put out the fire with an extinguisher by the time Wauconda Fire District arrived at 9:45 a.m., authorities said. The fire was neither hot enough nor large enough to activate the school’s fire sprinkler system, according to the fire district.
It was contained in a student bathroom on a wing that houses the kindergarten and first and second grades.
The damage was relatively minor, said fire Battalion Chief Kevin Pyne. But school officials “have a little cleaning up to do,” he said.
Because of the smoke, morning kindergarten students, as well as first- and second-graders were unable to return to their classrooms. The morning kindergartners were released at 11:50 a.m., their normal dismissal time, and the district asked parents of the first-, and second-graders to pick them up. Afternoon kindergarten was canceled.
Third-, fourth-, and fifth-grade students remained at school.
School will resume normal hours Monday.
The school is part of Wauconda Community Unit School District 118. The district alerted parents through Schoolmessenger, an electronic notification system.