Fire engulfs Algonquin home
ALGONQUIN – Cole Ryals was working at Algonquin Sub Shop when a frantic man ran into the store Saturday and asked him to call 911.
The home at 5 Filip St. was engulfed in flames that produced heavy smoke.
“It’s the first time I ever had to call the police; I didn’t know what was happening,” Ryals, 18, said.
The two-story house was fully engulfed when firefighters from the Algonquin Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District arrived at 6:36 p.m. Flames were shooting through the roof, neighbors said.
Firefighters first went inside but were pulled out when crews feared the roof would collapse. They extinguished the blaze from the outside and were on the scene until about 9:30 p.m.
No one was home when the fire broke out. Two cats were found to be safe and were turned over to the residents when they arrived home.
There were no injuries.
Emergency crews from Crystal Lake, Cary, Huntley, Carpentersville, Huntley and McHenry County Animal Control assisted with the incident.
– Chelsea McDougall