BARRINGTON HILLS – Two Illinois State Historical Markers will be unveiled at 1 p.m. Saturday at sites of early settler history in Barrington Hills.
One marker is at the David Haeger Schoolhouse and Cemetery on Meadow Hill Road, and the other is at the Ira C. Goodrich Homestead on Plum Tree Road.
Historical markers identify, honor and commemorate the important places, people and events that have contributed to the state of Illinois’ heritage.
The dedication ceremony will begin at the Haeger Schoolhouse and Cemetery with special honors by War of 1812 soldiers re-enactors and the Barrington VFW for Otis Drake, a War of 1812 soldier, and David F. Huntley, 95th Infantry Illinois, killed at Vicksburg, Miss., on May 22, 1863.
Haeger School, now a residence, was named for the David Haeger family from Germany, who settled in this part of McHenry County. This area was the boyhood home of David Henry Haeger, the eldest son of the Haeger children, who founded a world-renowned decorative pottery business in 1871 that is still in operation today.
The small adjoining Haeger Cemetery was dedicated by deed in 1854; some burials took place before this, with the oldest headstone dating to 1842. Four members of the Haeger family are at rest there, along with the Ira C. Goodrich family.
The second historical marker unveiling and closing ceremony will take place at 3 p.m. on the Ira C. Goodrich Homestead on Plum Tree Road.
This site represents the evolution of land and buildings originally homesteaded in 1843 as a traditional farm, to its adaptation as a gentleman farm in 1926. It was Chicago Tribune owner and philanthropist Alfred Cowles, along with his sons, who came to Barrington Hills to farm and raise horses as a leisure venture, while enjoying the farm as their countryside retreat.
The Goodrich Homestead includes a portion of the road that once was an Indian Trail, providing early settlers entry into McHenry County.