McHenry County Health Department reminds residents about open burning

WOODSTOCK – The McHenry County Department of Health reminds residents that year-round burning restrictions are in effect for landscape waste on one’s property.

Landscape waste consists of grass or shrubbery
cuttings, leaves and tree limbs.

The “McHenry County Public Health Ordinance: Open Burning of Landscape Waste” permits unincorporated residents to burn landscape waste Saturdays and Sundays in April, May, October and November if the burn area meets the setback requirements of at least 100 feet from a school, business, church or house; and 50 feet from a barn, shed or detached garage.

Most municipalities have ordinances that restrict or prohibit the burning of yard waste.

In areas where there is not a ban or a more restrictive ordinance, the county ordinance, which is in effect year round, must be followed. 

Residents should be advised that an Illinois EPA, Bureau of Air, Application for Open Burning Permit is required for habitat reclamation burns regardless of acreage.

For information, call the Illinois EPA, Bureau of Air Permit Section, at 217-782-2113.

The health department encourages environmentally sound alternatives to burning:

• Reduce/Reuse: Use a mulching mower for grass and leaves or a chipper for branches. Native landscaping also will reduce the need for yard waste.

• Recycle: Composting landscape waste can reduce material volume by 70 to 80 percent and act as a soil conditioner to improve plant growth.

Licensed municipal waste haulers in McHenry County are required to provide pickup of landscape waste from residential customers; an additional fee may apply.

Some waste haulers contract with municipalities, neighbors and homeowner associations to provide collection of landscape

Residents also may drop off landscape waste at a local facility that composts these materials into organic compounds for reuse.

A listing of these services is available at www.mcdh.info under Environmental Health, quick link – Open Burning, other alternatives.

Call local police, fire or the health department’s nonemergency number for enforcement of open burning issues.

If reporting an emergency complaint that is life-threatening or a fire safety issue, call 911.

Residents also may call the health department’s after-hours phone number, 815-344-7421, for assistance.

Complete details about the ordinance, yard waste disposal alternatives, exemptions and permit applications are available at www.mcdh.info or by calling 815-334-4585.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.