Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.
Mobile

Suspect in Chicago car-bomb plot pleads not guilty

CHICAGO (AP) — A suburban teen has pleaded not guilty to allegedly trying to set off what he thought was a car bomb next to a Chicago bar.

Dressed in orange jail clothes, Adel Daoud looked cheerful during Thursday's arraignment. He even joked to Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman about the maximum life sentence he faced, telling her it couldn't be longer.

Asked how he pleaded, the bushy-haired Hillside teen said politely, "Not guilty."

The FBI arrested the 19-year-old in a sting operation last month. He allegedly believed the U.S. was at war with Muslims.

In court, he smiled and waved at his parents. His teary-eyed father, Ahmed Daoud, told reporters later his son is a good kid.

Attorney Thomas Durkin says he'll argue the plot was the idea of agents, not his client.

Loading more