Charities serving McHenry County are invited to register to participate in the 2013 McHenry County Human Race.
The Human Race, a 5K walk-run organized by Not-For-Profit Resources, is an annual event that raises money to benefit local charities and promote volunteerism. In its first two years, the race raised $135,000 and helped 48 organizations.
Not-For-Profit Resources provides $2,400 in prize money for agencies: $600 to the top fundraising organization, McHenry County Community Foundation Award, with $250 for second place; $400 to the organization with most runners, IL State bank Award, with $250 for second place; $400 to the top fundraising individual’s organization of choice, Covidien Award, with $250 to second place; and $250 to the Biggest TEAM’s organization of choice (TEAMs are groups from businesses, families, schools, etc.)
Individuals who walk or run in the race designate which organization will receive the proceeds of their race registration fee and any fundraising they do.
Every individual participating makes a difference. All of the money stays in McHenry County.
The 2013 Human Race is April 21 in McHenry’s corporate park. More than 1,000 racers are expected. Will you be one of them?
Charities should register now by visiting www.mchumanrace.org.
Registration opens Dec. 1 for runners and walkers with an “early” registration fee.
For information about the Human Race, visit the website or call 815-344-4483.
Don’t forget to volunteer! Needs to consider:
• Salvation Army Golden Diners are looking for individuals to deliver meals.
• Senior Services Associates is seeking volunteers to become companions for elderly. They also need people to provide transportation to and from doctor visits and take people to the grocery store.
• NISRA has a fashion show coming up and can use your help.
• McHenry County Emergency Management has a place for you to help prepare our county for disasters – search and rescue, communications people, and fire rehab.
Volunteermchenrycounty.org has information about these and many more places for you to help your community.
Please consider helping.
If you need help finding a place to volunteer, call 815-344-4483.
• Rebecca Stiemke is the director of United Way McHenry County Volunteer Center. She can be reached at 815-344-4483 or email@example.com.