Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.
State

Carbon monoxide warning as colder weather sets in

CHICAGO — The Illinois Poison Center is warning people of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially as the weather gets colder.

Among the most common sources of the odorless, toxic gas are malfunctioning heaters and furnaces.

The Poison Center's medical director, Dr. Michael Wahl, says carbon monoxide in a home can easily go undetected. The center recommends that people install carbon monoxide detectors on each floor of their homes and have furnaces inspected each year.

Other potential sources of carbon monoxide include charcoal grills, lanterns, gasoline-powered machines such as snow blowers, and gas stoves and dryers.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms including headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness, and in severe cases death.

Loading more