Mostly Cloudy
41°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Carbon monoxide warning as colder weather sets in

CHICAGO — The Illinois Poison Center is warning people of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially as the weather gets colder.

Among the most common sources of the odorless, toxic gas are malfunctioning heaters and furnaces.

The Poison Center's medical director, Dr. Michael Wahl, says carbon monoxide in a home can easily go undetected. The center recommends that people install carbon monoxide detectors on each floor of their homes and have furnaces inspected each year.

Other potential sources of carbon monoxide include charcoal grills, lanterns, gasoline-powered machines such as snow blowers, and gas stoves and dryers.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms including headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness, and in severe cases death.


Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Reader Poll

Have you or will you donate to a local nonprofit on Giving Tuesday?