Deep fryer cited in CL garage fire
CRYSTAL LAKE – A garage was heavily damaged about noon Thursday when fire broke out as Jon Ring was warming up a deep fryer in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner at his home at 707 Windsor Drive.
It was windy out, wife Kim Ring said. “I came outside, and I smelled the smoke. I knew it was the garage, and ran in and told everybody, ‘The garage is on fire. Get out!’ ”
Jon Ring has deep fried turkeys for 15 years, Kim Ring said.
Ten people were in the house when the fire broke out. No injuries were reported.
Eight more people were to arrive for the Thanksgiving meal, which the family decided to move to Kim Ring’s mother’s house in Lake Zurich.
Kim Ring said she expects to be able to move back into her home in a couple of days.
An American flag was destroyed, remains of charred trash cans were in the driveway, and firefighters pulled down some siding on the house.
The walls of the attached garage were blackened by the fire.
The Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Department estimated damage at about $80,000 from heat, smoke and water, it said in a news release.
The fire is still under investigation but has been deemed accidental, the fire department said.
Fire departments from McHenry Township and Woodstock assisted on the call.