Deep fryer leads to garage fire in CL
CRYSTAL LAKE – A family preparing Thanksgiving dinner had their garage severely damaged when a fire broke out about noon at 707 Windsor Drive.
Family members said a turkey deep fryer led to the garage catching fire.
Kim Ring’s husband, Jon, was warming up the deep fryer in the garage when it caught fire.
It was windy out, Kim Ring said.
“I came outside, and I smelled the smoke,” Kim Ring said. “I knew it was the garage, and ran in and told everybody, ‘The garage is on fire. Get out!’”
Jon Ring has deep-fried turkeys for 15 years, Kim Ring said.
Ten people were in the house when the fire started, with eight more coming for dinner. However, no one was hurt. The family decided to move their Thanksgiving meal to Kim Ring’s mother’s house in Lake Zurich.
Kim Ring said the house is fine, and she expects to be able to move back in a couple of days.
An American flag was destroyed. Remains of charred garbage cans were in the driveway, and siding was pulled down. The walls of the garage were left black by the fire.