McHENRY – The parents of a family displaced by a fire that damaged several town homes in McHenry has created a fund to help offset the cost to rebuild their lives.
The fire Wednesday at 534 Legend Lane caused more than $250,000 worth of damage to the four units at that location, according to the McHenry Township Fire Protection District.
Two pets were killed, and the residents in that building have been forced to stay with family and friends as the extent of the damage is assessed.
That included Jamie and Heather Haak, who have lived at the complex for more than five years with their young daughter and pets.
Because of heavy smoke, fire and water damage, the entire second story of their town home has been destroyed. The first floor also was damaged.
“They are still in shock,” said Duane Haak, Jamie Haak’s father. “The cost for repairs and having to live elsewhere is going to be greater than their insurance.”
Duane Haak of Crystal Lake and his wife, Cheryl, have since created the Haak House Fire Fund through Harris Bank.
Residents wanting to help the Haaks can go to any Harris Bank branch to make a monetary donation.
“They both work so many hours,” Duane Haak said. “They need all the help they can get right now because they have so much to do, but still have to work.”
For information, call Duane Haak at 815-459-2868.
This was the second McHenry fire that has cost residents their homes in less than a week.
Several families who lived in apartments above Windy City Wings were displaced Dec. 20 by a fire that destroyed the building and all its contents.
Residents later rallied together for those families, hosting a donation event at Chauncey H. Duker School.