CRYSTAL LAKE – Get cooking this year with new, noncredit culinary classes offered from 6:30 to 9 p.m. beginning in February by McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department.
Classes are taught by chefs from the Confetti Gourmet Academy at the Dole Mansion at Lakeside Legacy Arts Park, 401 Country Club Road, in Crystal Lake.
The following classes are available:
• Knife Skills, Feb. 5: Learn about varieties of kitchen knives and how to care for them, including sharpening, honing, cleaning and storing. Participants will learn proper handling and practice the most useful cuts and techniques using herbs and vegetables. A demo on cleaning and slicing fruits is included. Use course ID: NCU S33 002.
• Latin Cuisine, Feb. 8: Enjoy the flavors of Mexico and learn the essential preparation techniques of grilling, sautéing and pan frying, along with custard and pilaf methods. The menu includes tomatillo salsa and tortilla chips, ranch-style beans, Spanish rice, fish tacos and flan. Use course ID: NCU S82 002.
• Chicken Basics, Feb. 9: A chef will teach essential chicken preparation techniques, such as flattening, stuffing, rolling, baking and pilaf methods. The menu includes house salad, pinwheel chicken with spinach, goat cheese with butter tomato sauce, Italian green beans, classic rice pilaf and a gourmet cookie. Use course ID: NCU S11 002.
• Valentine’s Day Treat Box, Feb. 12: Parent-and-child teams will create a Valentine’s Day treat box to take home. Activities include cookie decorating, cupcake decorating and making brownie hearts. Course fee is for one adult and child. Use course ID: NCU S73 002.
• Morning Meals, Feb. 15: From a savory skillet to sweet French toast, participants will learn essential preparation techniques. The menu includes breakfast skillet, cheesy hash browns, biscuits and gravy, and French toast with apple compote. Use course ID: NCU S83 002.
• Cupcake Workshop, Feb. 19: A pastry chef will show how to create gourmet cupcakes and demonstrate the art of sophisticated decoration. The menu includes red velvet cupcake, lemon cupcake, rainbow cupcake and the classic chocolate cupcake. Use course ID: NCU S53 002.
• Semi-Homemade, Feb. 23: Learn to make a dish using store-purchased ingredients to create a tasty and fast meal, including salad and dessert. The menu includes house salad, white rice, spinach and chicken casserole, and chocolate cherry cake. Use course ID: NCU S84 002.
• Pastry Class, Feb. 26: Create gourmet mini-cakes and learn the art of sophisticated pastry decoration. Participants will enjoy German chocolate cake, red velvet cake, classic chocolate cake and raspberry-pistachio brown butter cake. Use course ID: NCU S67 002.
The cost is $65 per class.
To register, call 815-455-8588 and use the course ID number when registering. For information, call 815-455-8758.