CRYSTAL LAKE – Learn new ways to say hello and much more through language and sign classes this winter offered by McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department.
The following classes are available:
• Spanish I: This beginner’s course includes basic writing, speaking, pronunciation, listening, understanding and the culture of Spanish-speaking countries. Students will use grammar, vocabulary and verbs in the most basic structure of the language. The required book is “Spanish Is Fun Book 1: Lively Lessons for Beginners” by Amsco School Publications, third edition, ISBN: 9781567654646. Textbooks must be bought before the start of class. The book is not available in the MCC Bookstore. Two classes are offered: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 29 through March 19, in Room E119 (use course ID: NFL S05 001) and 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 5 through March 26, in Room A123, (use course ID: NFL S05 002). The cost for either class is $109.
• Arabic I: Learn the basics of the Arabic language, including speaking, writing, vocabulary and grammar. The required books are “Read & Speak Arabic” by McGraw-Hill, second edition, ISBN: 9780071739665 and “Your First 100 Words Arabic” with audio CD, by Jane Wightwick, ISBN: 0071469281. Textbooks must be bought before the start of class. The class will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 30 through March 20, in Room E105. The cost is $109. Use course ID: NFL S13 001 when registering.
• French I: This class is for people who have little or no knowledge of French. Structure, vocabulary, phonetics and common phrases will be taught. The required textbook is “5-Minute French” with audio CD by Berlitz, ISBN: 9789812684578. Textbook must be bought before the start of class. The class will be from 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 30 through March 30, and costs $109. Use course ID: NFL S03 002 when registering.
• Italian I: Learn the basics of expressing oneself in Italina. Exploring the Italian culture as well as basic, but useful skills to be understood in Italy. This class is ideal for prospective tourists or for those who want to get back in touch with their Italian roots. The required textbook is “Espresso 1 Student Book” by L. Ziglio and G. Rizzo, Alma Edizioni (available at www.deltapublishing.com for $35.90) the ISBN: 9788861820531. Textbooks must be bought before the start of class. The class will be from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 12 through April 16, in Room D152. The cost is $119. Use course ID: NFL S12 002 when registering.
• Sign Language I: An introduction to finger spelling and basic survival signs that can be used in a variety of settings. The book for class will be discussed at the first session. This class is taught by a deaf instructor and will be in C106. The cost is $125. The class will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Mondays, Feb. 11 11 through May 6. Use course ID: NFL S01 001 when registering.
To register, call the MCC Registration Office at 815-455-8588. For information, call Tracy Berry at 815-455-8758 or Dori Smith at 815-455-8559.