CRYSTAL LAKE – Registration is under way for a variety of sewing and quilting classes offered by McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department.
The following classes are available:
• Quilting for Beginners: Each lesson will feature a step-by-step process to create a 36-inch-square Rail Fence quilt. Learn to read a pattern, use a rotary cutter, piece accurate seams and do simple machine quilting. Students will have a completed quilt at the end of the four-week class. A supply list will be mailed a week before class. The class will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 20 through March 13, in Room C121. Use course ID: NCF S35 002 when registering. The cost is $49.
• Beginning Sewing: Learn basic sewing skills while making three simple projects: a set of pillowcases that will include straight stitching and French seams, a split rail fence pillow that features simple quilt piecing techniques and a drawstring bag. Students will buy supplies at the first class. The costs will vary depending on fabric selection, but should not exceed $40. The class will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 21 through March 28, at Sewing Concepts, 110 S. Johnson St., Woodstock. Use course ID: NCF S03 002 when registering. The cost is $85.
• Flirty Spring Table Runner: Students will make a quilt-as-you-go table runner. Using some of their own fabric stash or by buying some of the newest spring fabrics, students will learn to apply the binding with their own sewing machine with no hand stitching. A supply list will be mailed a week before class. The class will be from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, April 3 through April 10, in Room C121. Use course ID: NCF S85 004. The cost is $32.
• Sewing: The Next Step: This class follows the Beginner’s Sewing class. Students will work on technique-related tasks to advance their sewing skills. Finishing hems, seams and zippers, plus working with different types of fasteners are some of the topics that will be covered. The class will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays, April 11 through May 16, at Sewing Concepts, 110 S. Johnson St. in Woodstock. Use course ID: NCF S69 004 when registering. The cost is $85.
• 1-Yard Fabric Tote: Create a practical, lined tote bag with one yard of cotton fabric and a sewing machine. A supply list will be mailed one week before class. The class takes place from 7 to 9:30 p.m. April 17 in Room A102. Use course ID: NCF S86 004 when registering. The cost is $19.
• T-shirt Quilt Demo: Turn old T-shirts into a one-of-a-kind quilt for a personal keepsake. In this lecture/demo class, participants will learn to fearlessly cut apart shirts, find out what secret fabric is needed to make a T-shirt quilt, and get ideas on how to arrange the shirts in different ways. Bring a notebook, pen and questions. The class will be from 7 to 9 p.m. April 24 in Room A102. Use course ID: NCF S01 004 when registering. The cost is $15.
For information, call 815-455-8588.