Commercial Street to be resurfaced
RICHMOND – A nearly one-mile stretch of Commercial Street is to be resurfaced this summer.
The Richmond Village Board gave the go ahead at its meeting Thursday for the village president to authorize agreements and use motor-fuel taxes and a grant to resurface Commercial Street from Route 173 to Route 12.
The village received a federal grant that will cover 80 percent of the project, said Ed Coggin of HR Green, who serves as the village’s engineer. The village will use about $80,000 in motor-fuel tax dollars to cover the other 20 percent.
Acting Village President Pete Koenig called in “a couple of years” of the villages motor-fuel tax revenue. The village will put aside its motor-fuel tax funds from the current fiscal year and use next year’s funds, he said.
That means that Commercial Street will be the only road work the village can do this year, Koenig said.
The Village Board likely will put the work out for bids at its March 8 meeting, Coggin said, and the estimated two months of work will be completed over the summer. The street won’t be closed completely but there will be some lane closures, he said.
The state has taken a particular interest in Commercial Street because it runs parallel to Route 12, Koenig said. It is used as a detour route and as an emergency route.
Richmond’s and other municipalities’ share of state motor-fuel tax money is based on population. That tax is 19 cents per gallon of unleaded gasoline and 21.5 cents per gallon of diesel.