CLPD announces special detail results
CRYSTAL LAKE – The Crystal Lake Police Department announced the results of its recent enforcement effort targeted at motorists who drove while distracted.
On Thursday Feb. 7, between the hours of 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., Crystal Lake police officers conducted a special enforcement detail to enforce Illinois Vehicle Code violations related to the unlawful use of an electronic device, commonly referred to as “texting while driving.”
During this enforcement effort the Crystal Lake Police Department:
• Stopped 30 motorists for traffic violations.
• Arrested two drivers for driving on a suspended license.
Officers also issued a total of 36 traffic citations including:
• 13 for unlawful use of a communications device.
• one for commercial motor vehicle cell phone use.
• two for graduated drivers license program cell phone use.
• five for seatbelt.
• one for child restraint.
• three for disregarding stop sign.
• one each for speeding, fed light violation and driving without insurance.
• six for equipment related citations.
In 2011 more than 3,000 people nationwide were killed in distracted driving related collisions, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drivers should note that the Illinois Vehicle Code prohibits an operator of a vehicle from using an electronic communications device to send or receive electronic communications of any form and from accessing the Internet.
Motorists are prohibited from using electronic communications devices while on a roadway while the vehicle is in drive for purposes other than for the sole purpose of communicating an emergency situation to emergency personnel.
For information, visit www.distraction.gov.