HUNTLEY – McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department has partnered with the Huntley Park District to offer classes at the Huntley Park District Recreation Center, 12015 Mill St.
The following classes are available:
• Cake Decorating I: Melody Stanko, a professional cake decorator for more than 14 years, will teach the basics of cake decorating. Participants will get hands-on experience with techniques including shells, rosettes, borders, basket weaving and piping. Plan to spend about $25, which will be discussed at the first class. The class runs from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, April 2 through April 30. The cost is $65. Use course ID: NCU S01 004 when registering.
• Zentangle: The new art form, Zentangle, is an easy-to-learn method of creating images from repetitive patterns. It increases focus and creativity in an organized way. All materials will be provided; additional supplies may be purchased. The class takes place from 1 to 3 p.m. March 12. The cost is $35. Use course ID: NFA S45 003 when registering.
• Basic Digital Photography: This class will focus on how to create and care for digital photos. The basics of digital photography will be explained, while participants learn elements of exposure control, photographing people, low-light photography, action shots and close-ups. Sharing images and storing photos will be covered. Bring a camera (any type of digital camera is suitable). The class takes place from 2 to 4:30 p.m. beginning Monday and on Mondays through March 4. The cost is $99. Use course ID: NPH S13 003 when registering.
• F-Stops & Shutter Speeds: Learn to easily use settings on a camera to get desired effects and results in photos. The class is from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday. The cost is $59. Use course ID: NPH S11 021 when registering.
• Women’s Self-Defense: One of every three women will be a victim of assault in her lifetime. Most attacks occur at homes or apartments and the victim is selected because she is alone and vulnerable. Myths of self-defense, verbalization, pressure points and assault awareness/resistance measures will be covered in an hour of lecture, followed by an hour of hands-on technique lessons. The class is from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Feb. 26. The cost is $15. Use course ID: NPL S14 026 when registering.
To register, call the MCC Registration Office at 815-455-8588. For information, call Tracy Berry at 815-455-8758 or Dori Sullens at 815-455-8559.