State

Status hearing for Chicago car-bomb plot suspect

CHICAGO — There's a status hearing scheduled for a suburban Chicago man accused of trying to set off what he thought was a car bomb outside a Chicago bar.

Adel Daoud was arrested last year following a sting operation and recently pleaded not guilty to terrorism-related charges.

There's still no trial date set in the 19-year-old's case and one could be fixed at his Friday hearing.

Prosecutors have said the Hillside man told undercover agents he believed the U.S. was at war with Muslims. But Daoud's attorney has argued the car-bomb plot was the agents' idea.

At previous hearings, the bushy-haired Daoud has appeared surprisingly at ease. He's even joked with the judge and smiled as he waved to family sitting in court.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.