CRYSTAL LAKE – McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department offers a new lineup of noncredit culinary classes in March, including simple hearty soups, gluten-free cooking and a Ladies Night.
These classes are taught by chefs from the Confetti Gourmet Academy, located at the Dole Mansion at Lakeside Legacy Arts Park, 401 Country Club Road in Crystal Lake.
The following classes are available:
• Super Simple Soups: For an easy one-pot meal, make hearty soups such as chicken tortilla and Italian wedding soup. Professional chefs will teach preparation and cooking techniques. The menu includes house salad, chicken tortilla soup, Italian wedding soup, and loaded cheesy potato soup, plus peach cobbler for dessert. The class will be from 6:30 to 9 p.m. March 5. To register, use course ID: NCU S43 003.
• Indoor Smoking and Roasting: Learn how to use a stovetop smoker, along with preparation techniques such as smoking, roasting and baking. Participants will enjoy making and eating a house salad, roasted root vegetables, seasoned potato wedges, hickory smoked barbecue chicken and bread pudding. The class will be from 6:30 to 9 p.m. March 8. To register, use course ID: NCU S85 003.
• Gluten-Free Cooking: Learn how to make gluten-free food so flavorful and enjoyable to eat that no one will know it’s gluten-free. Get set to enjoy salad, Thai coconut-cilantro chicken, Jasmine rice, grilled zucchini and crepes. The class will be from 1:30 to 4 p.m. March 10. To register, use course ID: NCU S26 003.
• Pot Pies: Pie dough, rolling and the custard method are some of the skills featured in this class as participants create a dinner of house salad, chicken pot pie (pie crust and chicken filling) plus bread pudding. The class will be from 6:30 to 9 p.m. March 12. To register, use course ID: NCU S95 003.
• Ladies Night: Professional chefs will teach essential preparation techniques that include sauté, risotto method, fruit coulis and baking. The menu includes baby green salad, Italian green beans, risotto, chardonnay garlic chicken and chocolate cake with raspberry coulis. The class will be from 6:30 to 9 p.m. March 15. To register, use course ID: NCU S76 003.
• March Madness “Warning: Men Cooking:” Invite the guys over to watch the Final Four and get ready to this “slam dunk” menu, including iron skillet steak sandwich, deluxe potato skins, jalapeño poppers and gourmet oatmeal cookies. The class is from 1:30 to 4 p.m. March 17. To register, use course ID: NCU S74 003.
The cost is $65 a class. Spaces are limited. Early registration is suggested.
To register, call the MCC Registration Office at 815-455-8588. For information, call Tracy Berry at 815-455-8758 or Dori Smith at 815-455-8559.