Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.
State

Suit: Dirty politics included no garbage pickup

CHICAGO – A lawsuit accuses a longtime Chicago alderman of dirty politics during municipal elections, including by pulling strings so his challengers' garbage went uncollected.

The federal lawsuit filed in Chicago at the end of last week names Alderman Walter Burnett Jr., two sanitation department officials and the city.

Reached Monday, Burnett denied the allegations.

The plaintiffs are two candidates who ran against the 27th ward alderman in 2011 and lost. Thomas Courtney Jr. and GeVonna Fassett claim constitutional-rights violations.

The lawsuit said one official beholden to Burnett used city resources to help remove Courtney's and Fassett's campaign signs.

It said sanitation trucks stopped home collection of their trash during the campaign, posing a health risk in a city that, in the lawsuit's words, is known for "rat infestations from uncollected garbage."

Loading more