Snow Freezing Fog
17°FSnow Freezing FogFull Forecast

Coroner: McHenry man died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Published: Friday, March 8, 2013 1:51 p.m. CST

McHENRY - A 20-year-old man died Friday morning from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the McHenry County Coroner's Office.

He has been identified as Carlos Arenas-Rodriguez, Coroner Anne Majewski said in a news release. The carbon monoxide came from a gas-powered generator being used where he was located.

No foul play is suspected.

Members of the McHenry Township Fire Protection District were called to a home in the Lakeland Park subdivision at around 2:35 a.m. for a report of a medical emergency.

Crews arrived at the home on the 1700 block of North Avenue and found high levels of carbon monoxide, according to authorities. Arenas-Rodriguez was found unresponsive in the home.

He was treated and transported to Centegra Hospital – McHenry, where he was later pronounced dead. Two other residents were treated and released at the scene.

It is unknown whether the home had carbon monoxide detectors, police said.

The investigation is ongoing.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

If married, how long have you been married?
Less than a year
One to five years
Six to 10 years
11 to 15 years
More than 15 years