The Hotel Gage on Ayer Street in Harvard was opened for business on Feb. 1, 1885. Floyd A. Gage was the proprietor. It had 34 rooms and advertised itself as “the house of hospitality.”
Associated with the hotel was a restaurant. A menu offering in 1915 gave diners a large choice of options, from soup, salad, red snapper, turkey and others, including dessert for 35 cents a plate.
A 1917 ad announced “hot and cold running water.” Rooms with running water cost from 50 cents to a dollar. A private bath could be had for $1.25 to $1.50. Telephones were available in every room.
In 1925, Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Eastman took over operation of the hotel. The building was eventually remodeled into apartment units in the 1940s.