Did you know today is election day? If you're a registered voter, it's likely that less than 18 percent of you will vote in the consolidated election.
But take a look at your property-tax bill because the people elected today will be 100 percent responsible for most of the services you pay for, and in some cases, how much you'll pay.
There are mayor and village president contests in McHenry, Cary, Harvard, Johnsburg, Fox Lake, Island Lake, Hebron, Lakemoor and Barrington Hills, and there are contested races for village boards and city councils in many communities.
School boards including McHenry County College, Woodstock District 200, Crystal Lake District 47 and several others also have contested races, as do a few townships, fire boards and library districts.
Every voter in McHenry County also can decide whether to create and fund a new "377 board" taxing district to pay for services for developmental disabilities, and there are a few other local referendum questions.
We'll be keeping score live tonight and presenting as much election information as possible in Wednesday's Northwest Herald.
• You can still get candidate profiles, videos and stories by checking the Northwest Herald's Election Central at elections.nwherald.com.
• Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Find your polling place at www.co.mchenry.il.us.
• After polls close, Election Central will post live results as returns become available.
• You can also join the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag #NWHElect to interact with other voters and Northwest Herald reporters and editors.
• Check out Wednesday's Northwest Herald for complete coverage of the election.