Mobile

12-year-old boy arrested in Minn. school lockdown

NEW PRAGUE, Minn. (AP) — Authorities in Minnesota have arrested a 12-year-old boy in what they say was a prank call that prompted a school lockdown.

The middle school in New Prague, a small town about 45 miles southwest of Minneapolis, was locked down after the 911 call came in about 8 a.m. Wednesday.

Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka says the caller claimed there was a person armed with an AK-47 in a school building, and that a few people had been shot.

New Prague Police Chief Mark Vosejpka says police determined there was no threat within about half an hour, and quickly zeroed in on the 12-year-old. He didn't say what led authorities to the boy.

The school canceled classes for the rest of the day but students are expected to return Thursday.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.