McHenry fatal blaze began in living room

McHENRY – Firefighters determined that a fire that killed a 12-year-old McHenry girl started in a kitchen/living room area on the first floor, making it difficult for occupants on the second floor to escape. 

The fire on March 8 killed Dayana Garcia, while her parents, two younger brothers and older brother managed to escape their Parkway Avenue home. 

A joint investigation by the state fire marshal, McHenry Township Fire Protection District and McHenry police determined that the cause of the blaze was accidental. 

Organizers have set up a website to collect donations for Garcia’s family. To date, they have raised $2,075. Donations can be made online at http://shawurl.com/jmr. 

McHenry Fire Chief Tony Huemann reminded residents to have a working fire alarm on each level of a home.

– Chelsea McDougall