Overcast
51°FOvercastFull Forecast

McHenry fatal blaze began in living room

Published: Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:30 a.m. CST

McHENRY – Firefighters determined that a fire that killed a 12-year-old McHenry girl started in a kitchen/living room area on the first floor, making it difficult for occupants on the second floor to escape. 

The fire on March 8 killed Dayana Garcia, while her parents, two younger brothers and older brother managed to escape their Parkway Avenue home. 

A joint investigation by the state fire marshal, McHenry Township Fire Protection District and McHenry police determined that the cause of the blaze was accidental. 

Organizers have set up a website to collect donations for Garcia’s family. To date, they have raised $2,075. Donations can be made online at http://shawurl.com/jmr. 

McHenry Fire Chief Tony Huemann reminded residents to have a working fire alarm on each level of a home.

– Chelsea McDougall

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

What percentage of your holiday shopping will you do at locally owned stores?
Less than 10 percent
10 to 20 percent
21 to 40 percent
41 to 60 percent
More than 60 percent