There are just a few days until the April 9 consolidated election, and for residents in the Barrington area, this year has the potential to bring a number of changes to village governments.
Schools, parks, townships, libraries and the villages are governed by elected officials and board members. As residents are affected by the choices those officials make, it is up to those same residents to decide who they want to govern their communities.
Voting in this area often is tricky, since there are multiple counties involved. The village of Barrington, for instance, is split between Lake and Cook counties.
There are several contested races this time around. In Barrington Hills, residents can vote for incumbent village president Robert Abboud or challenger Martin McLaughlin.
There are four open spots in the Barrington 220 School District. Incumbents Penny Kazmier and Sandra Ficke-Bradford are seeking re-election, while Sophia Chen-de Vries, Wendy Farley, Christopher Geier and Jerry Keaton also are seeking a seat.
Uncontested village president races where incumbents are running include Lake Barrington’s Kevin Richardson, Inverness’ John “Jack” Tatooles, and Deer Park’s Bob Kellerman.
Some village presidents are leaving and only one person has filed to seek the seat. In Port Barrington, Mike Head is not seeking re-election and Shannon Yeaton is on the ballot for the office. In South Barrington, Frank Munao Jr. is departing and Paula McCombie is running for that office.
In Barrington, Karen Darch will be the only candidate on the ballot, though write-in candidate Mike Kozel hopes to gain enough support to defeat the two-term village president.
There are a number of trustee positions in all of the villages that will be up for election, however there won’t be many races.
Barrington Hills is one place where there are more candidates than there are open spots. The five people running for three trustee positions are Fritz Gohl, Colleen Konicek Hannigan, Michael Harrington, Kelly Mazeski and David Stieper.
North Barrington has three trustee positions open. Jackie Andrew is the only one on the ballot, while Martin Pais, John Schnure, Joseph Sclafani and Todd Smith are write-in candidates.
In other Barrington-area villages, the number of trustee candidates matches the number of open positions.
Where do I vote?
• The precinct you vote in is determined by your mailing address. Residents can find their precinct number on their voter registration card or on county websites.
When are polls open?
• The polls are open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Election Day. As long as you are in line by 7 p.m., you will be permitted to vote.
Who is on the ballot? The following people are running for office
Village of Barrington • President (vote for one) Karen Darch Mike Kozel (write-in)
• Clerk Adam Frazier
• Trustee (three seats) Pete Douglas Sue Padula Tim Roberts
• Park District Commissioner (two seats) Christine H. Garry Bill Knapik
• Public Library District Trustee (three seats) Carrie F. Carr Carolyn Welch Clifford Barbara Pintozzi
Barrington Hills • President (vote for one) Robert Abboud Martin McLaughlin
• Trustees (three seats) Fritz Gohl Colleen Konicek Hannigan Michael Harrington Kelly Mazeski David Stieper
• Park District Commissioner (two seats) Maureen Crump Fred McMorris
Port Barrington • President Shannon Yeaton
• Trustees (three seats) David Corrigan Rosemary "Rose" Eddy Mark Rabiej
North Barrington • Trustee (three seats) Jackie Andrew Martin Pais (write-in) John Schnure (write-in) Joseph Sclafani (write-in) Todd Smith (write-in)
Lake Barrington • President Kevin Richardson
• Trustee (three seats) Karen Daulton Lange Christopher Mitchell Dorothy "Connie" Schofield
Lake Barrington Countryside Park District Commissioner (two seats, 6-year term) No Candidate
Lake Barrington Countryside Park District Commissioner (three seats, unexpired 4-year term): Michael Graft, Jr. (write-in) Philip Mohr (write-in) Mark Thorndyke (write-in)
Lake Barrington Countryside Park District Commissioner (two seats, unexpired 2-year term): No candidate
South Barrington • President Paula McCombie
• Clerk Donna Wood
• Trustee (three seats): Joseph Abbate Therese De Serto-Cohen Anthony Stagno
• Trustee (one seat, unexpired 2-year term): Louis Matuska, Jr.
• South Barrington Park District Commissioner (one seat, 6-year term): Catie Burns
• South Barrington Park District (one seat, unexpired 4-year term): Susan Butera
• South Barrington Park District (one seat, unexpired 2-year term): Lori Pierce
Tower Lakes • Trustee (three seats): Thomas Bolger Sophia Chen-de Vries Michael Rolfs
Trustee (one seat, unexpired 2-year term): Joseph Skurla
Inverness • President John "Jack" Tatooles
• Clerk Laurie White
• Trustee (three seats): Richard Gallagher Terrence Kral Patricia Ledvina
• Inverness Park District Commissioner (four seats): Robert Dowling Min Goodwin Kasia Mastrangeli
Deer Park • President Bob Kellermann
• Trustee (three seats) Keith D. Olson Dale Sands Joel Thomason
• Barrington District 220 School Board (four seats) Sophia Chen-de Vries Wendy Farley Sandra Ficke-Bradford Christopher Geier Penelope "Penny" Kazmier Jerry Keaton
Barrington Township • Supervisor Eugene "Gene" Dawson
• Clerk Trudy Barrie
• Assessor Amy Piet Nykaza
• Trustee (four seats) Robert Collins Daniel Fitzgerald Robert Nykaza, Jr. Ronald Szymanski
Cuba Township • Supervisor David Nelson
• Clerk Priscilla Rose
• Assessor Rebecca Tonigan
• Highway Commissioner (vote for one) Thomas Gooch III Randall Marks
• Trustee (four seats) Doug Alexander Chris Cocoma Jack Mumaw Jill Talbot
Ela Township • Supervisor (vote for one) Barbara Evans Lucy Prouty
• Clerk (vote for one) William "Bill" Donnan Paul Jankowski
• Assessor (vote for one) John Barrington Wayne Wnek
• Highway Commissioner (vote for one) Randy Abbott Bill Kruckenberg
• Trustee (four seats) Larry Bowman Vaseem Iftekhar Mike Jennings Tony Lombardo Lynn O'Brien Jack Reck Nancy Shepherdson Nancy Thompson
Sources: Lake County Clerk's Office and Cook County Clerk's Office