The availability of motion pictures in the early 1900s opened a whole new world of entertainment possibilities. Jim Dvorak opened a movie theater in the Prokop garage building. In 1923, Joseph Kosatka bought the Dvorak business and built The Grove theater building. It became a mainstay of the Fox River Grove entertainment world for 32 years.
The theater was so popular it was necessary to add a balcony in 1927. The theater featured a cry room so mothers with young babies could enjoy a movie without disturbing others. A smoking room was available for men.
Ticket holders also benefited from many promotional ventures as the theater offered free china, linens and towels.
A pipe organ, expertly played by Warren Kolby of Crystal Lake, gave drama to silent films. When “talkies” came in, he played the organ before the film started.
The theater went out of business in 1957 when the building was sold.