Northwest Herald sports columnist Tom Musick placed second in column writing and fourth in beat reporting in the country in the Associated Press Sports Editors' annual contest for work done in 2012.
Musick's columns on Chicago sports and coverage of the Bears were honored in the 30,000 to 75,000 daily circulation category.
1. George Schroeder, The Register-Guard (Eugene, Ore.)
2. Tom Musick, Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, Ill.)
T3. Scott Michaux, Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle
T3. Brian Murphy, Idaho Statesman
5. Steve Solloway, Portland (Maine) Press Herald
BEAT WRITING 30,000-75,000
1. Leighton Ginn, The Desert Sun (Palm Spring, Calif.)
2. Gary Meenaghan, Abu Dhabi National, U.A.E.
3. Kellis Robinett, The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle
4. Tom Musick, Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, Ill.)
5. Seth Emerson, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.)