CL Home sustains damage in fire

CRYSTAL LAKE – A Crystal Lake homeowner was able to tame a chimney fire Wednesday night before it caused substantial damage, the Crystal Lake Fire Department said.

Initial reports said the fire at 7818 W. Hillside Road started in the chimney, with heavy smoke coming from the eaves. It had started to spread to the attic before it was extinguished.

Emergency responders got the call around 6 p.m.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage.

The Crystal Lake Fire Department canceled a call for extra help upon arriving at the home.

– Shawn Shinneman