CRYSTAL LAKE – On Saturday, the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County will co-sponsor the countywide Earth Day celebration with the McHenry County Conservation District.
The event will run from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at MCCD’s Prairieview Education Center, 2112 Behan Road, Crystal Lake.
The event is held both indoors and out and will go on rain or shine.
A regular service by the Defenders at this annual event is offering the opportunity for people to bring in hard-to-recycle items. With the help of their partner, Chicago Logistic Services, the Defenders will accept electronics and small appliances.
Microwaves must be clean, and no smoke detectors, medical devices or console TVs will be accepted.
White block Styrofoam, packing peanuts, reuseable bubble wrap, Christmas lights, fluorescent tubes, athletic shoes and household batteries also will be collected. A donation is requested to offset the cost of recycling computer monitors, televisions and fluorescent tubes.
In addition to recycling:
• Live music by Square Drum Circle, Off Square Music throughout the event, with special musical performance by The Chickadees at 1 p.m.
• Puppet shows at 12:30 and 2:30 p.m.
• Join in a guided nature hike at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
• Help out on a restoration service project.
• Get a Earth Day 2013 patch. Youth group members can do activities and earn the patch at a reduced cost.
• Enjoy hands-on games, crafts and storytelling.
• More than 20 environmental exhibitors, including the Defenders’ Make a Bag from a T-shirt station.
• Food and beverage vendors or bring your own “no waste” picnic lunch.
For information about the Defenders, visit www.mcdef.org