WOODSTOCK – Seminars and workshops are available to all job seekers and are free of charge at the McHenry County Workforce Network, 500 Russel Court, Woodstock. Seminars are not considered training by the Illinois Department of Employment Security. For more information, call 815-338-7100, email workforcecenterRR@yahoo.com, or visit www.mchenrycountyworkforce.com.
• Résumé, portfolio, interview seminar, 9:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., Aug. 6 and 20: Learn what information belongs in your résumé. Topics include the difference between a chronological and functional résumé, cover letter writing, and how to email a résumé. Learn how to develop a portfolio and showcase it in an interview. Learn the fundamentals of interview preparation. Discover how to research companies, dress for the interview, manage body language, and handle tough questions, plus negotiate salary and do effective follow-up.
• TORQ System workshop, 10 to 11 a.m. Aug. 21: Learn how to use this web-based resource to take your job search to the next level.
• Veterans assistance résumé critique and mock interview, 9 to 11 a.m. Tuedays: Dennis Nix brings a background in both civilian and military life to coach veterans from the military into a civilian job. Email Nix at email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
• Résumé critique: Personalized job search assistance services with a business professional. Sign up by sending an email directly to the person of your choice to arrange an appointment: Julie Baldwin at 1:30, 2, 2:30 and 3 p.m., first and third Wednesdays, email firstname.lastname@example.org; or Jim Pacholski at 10, 10:30, 11 and 11:30 a.m., second and fourth Wednesdays, email email@example.com.
• Mock interview: One-hour sessions with Bonnie Zotos, 10 a.m., 11 a.m., and noon, first and third Wednesdays, email firstname.lastname@example.org. One-hour sessions with Dan Jahrke, 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m. first and third Thursdays, email email@example.com
• Computer training: Basic computer skills seminar, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Aug. 21; intermediate Excel, 10 a.m. to noon, Aug. 12; basic Powerpoint, 10 a.m. to noon, Aug. 19.
• Career planning workshop, 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 15: Effective career planning basics will give you “direction” for your future and help you make the most of changes in the workplace. Learn about online resources such as Illinois workNet to find occupations related to your skills, interests and values.
• Network to Success Job Club, 1 to 4 p.m. second and fourth Wednesday at Shah Center, 4100 W. Shamrock Lane, McHenry: Professional Image and First Impression, Aug. 14 with Lisa Raupp, senior sales director, Mary Kay Cosmetics; Retirement Plan Fundamentals Aug. 28 with Jeff Batt and Vicki Nielsen, McHenry Financia.
• Fall 2013 Job Support Group, 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays: A facilitated group for unemployed individuals who want to focus on job search problems that go beyond typical networking. Space is limited. To join, call Thomas Faber at 815-338-7100, ext. 276, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.