The Holiday Gift Auction is Live! Click here and bid now on great local gifts!
Mobile

No one injured during Richmond fire

RICHMOND – An overnight fire on Tuesday caused $30,000 worth of damage to a former chiropractic care center in Richmond, according to the Richmond Township Fire Protection District.

Crews were called to the 5600 block of Hill Road at around 1:30 a.m. after the driver of a recycling truck in that area smelled smoke coming from a building, fire officials said. Firefighters arrived to find smoke billowing from the roof.

An active fire was later found in the basement of the building.

It had spread to the first floor of the commercial estate into the roof area.

Firefighters had the blaze under control in about a half hour.

The fire is believed to have started in the basement from a malfunctioning fluorescent light bulb, officials said.

No one was injured.

Crws from Spring Grove, Wonder Lake, Hebron, Antioch, Fox Lake, Nunda Rural, Woodstock, Crystal Lake, Marengo and Randall, Wis., assisted with the incident.

The investigation is ongoing.

— Lawerence Synett

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.