RICHMOND – An overnight fire on Tuesday caused $30,000 worth of damage to a former chiropractic care center in Richmond, according to the Richmond Township Fire Protection District.
Crews were called to the 5600 block of Hill Road at around 1:30 a.m. after the driver of a recycling truck in that area smelled smoke coming from a building, fire officials said. Firefighters arrived to find smoke billowing from the roof.
An active fire was later found in the basement of the building.
It had spread to the first floor of the commercial estate into the roof area.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in about a half hour.
The fire is believed to have started in the basement from a malfunctioning fluorescent light bulb, officials said.
No one was injured.
Crws from Spring Grove, Wonder Lake, Hebron, Antioch, Fox Lake, Nunda Rural, Woodstock, Crystal Lake, Marengo and Randall, Wis., assisted with the incident.
The investigation is ongoing.
— Lawerence Synett