Sheriff's Office warns of rental scams
WOODSTOCK – A rental property scam is targeting residents attempting to rent homes in the area, according to the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office.
The scam involves individuals placing advertisements online for rental homes at a reasonable price, according to a news release. The person does not own the home, and usually ask for one month’s rent and security deposit, and is often unreachable in person.
Things residents should look out for include:
• The person posting the listing lives out of state of country
• Multiple excuses are given as to why the renter is unable to meet in person
• Money is asked to be wired, even before seeing the property
• Free email accounts are used by the renter
• The rent deal appears too good to be true
• The property is still occupied
• The property wasn’t listed through a realtor or management agency