48°FOvercastFull Forecast

Car fire in McHenry deemed accidental

McHENRY – Firefighters on Tuesday were able to stop a car fire from spreading to the garage it was being housed in, according to the McHenry Township Fire Protection District.

Crews were called to the 3700 block of West Young Street around 8 p.m. Tuesday for a report of a structure fire, according to a news release. Initial responders arrived to find a vehicle on fire inside a garage in that area.

A McHenry police officer was able to extinguish the fire before it spread to the inside of the garage.

Firefighters then relocated the car onto the driveway and cleared the area.

The fire was accidental, caused by a person inside the garage who was using a grinder too close to gasoline while working on the vehicle’s motor, the release states.

No one was injured.

Damage to the vehicle was estimated at less than $5,000.

– Lawerence Synett


Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.


Reader Poll

Should convicted sex offenders be barred from using social media?
Depends on the crime