Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.
State

House approves cellphone ban, heads to gov's desk

SPRINGFIELD – A proposal that would ban the use of cellphones while driving in Illinois is headed to Gov. Pat Quinn's desk.

The House approved the bill, 69-48, Tuesday, following a Senate vote late last week. Quinn's spokeswoman said the Chicago Democrat will review the bill once he receives it.

The proposal says motorists must use hands-free devices or speakerphone functions on their phones.

Police would be able to ticket drivers holding a cellphone except during emergencies. Dozens of Illinois communities, including Chicago, already ban talking on cellphones while driving.

Sponsor Democratic Sen. John Mulroe said the bill makes roads safer. Opponents, including Rep. Jack Franks, say there are many other ways of distracted driving.

House members first approved the plan in March.

Loading more