University of Illinois Extension’s fifth annual Openfields Farm Tour is scheduled from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday, June 8, and will feature farms and farm businesses throughout DeKalb, McHenry, Winnebago and Stephenson counties.
Visitors will have the chance to view row after row of young vegetables in diverse market gardens, feed and interact with farm animals both large and small, view the inner workings of a family-owned animal processing plant, and have a chance to sample local wine.
This once-yearly event is an opportunity to observe life on a farm, ask farm-related questions, and spend time with local farmers.
Tourists may visit as few or as many farms as they wish; there is no cost to attend.
• Chestnut Cliff Farm, 2583 Route 20, Freeport.
• Eickman's Processing, 3226 S. Pecatonica Road, Seward.
• Funguy Farm, 165 S. Bolen Road, Pecatonica.
• Harrison Market Gardens, 9024 Harrison Road, Winnebago.
• Hazzard Free Farm, 5111 Ahrens Road, Pecatonica.
• Irish Grove Farm, 9027 Best Road, Pecatonica.
• Open Range Products, 14081 Berglund Road, Pecatonica.
• Von Bergen's Country Market, 9805 Route 173, Hebron.
• Waterman Winery and Vineyards, 11582 Waterman Road, Waterman.
For an updated list of participating farms, answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and a driving map for this self-guided tour, visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw. Or call 815-986-4357.