My husband and I took our 8- and 5-year olds camping for the first time this past weekend. We all survived and had a lot of fun together.
Part of the camping fun is the cooking and eating – being outdoors all day can really build up an appetite. My husband’s family has standard family camping foods that are required for such trips including, but not limited to, Twizzlers and cheese balls. While I will admit to including these on this family trip (for nostalgic sake of course), I thought I would share some ideas for other healthy camping food ideas.
- Fresh and unsweetened dried fruit
- Fresh vegetables with low-fat dip or hummus
- Trail mix
- Raw nuts – almonds, pistachios, peanuts in shells
- Baked chips and salsa
- Celery and peanut butter
- Lean hot dogs (I like Hebrew 97% fat-free)
- Turkey brats
- Chicken sausages
- Veggie burgers
- Turkey burgers
- Oil and vinegar coleslaw
- Pasta salad with lite oil and vinegar
- German-style potato salad
- Fresh garden salad with vinaigrette or low-fat dressing
- Water (flavor with a piece of lemon or lime)
- Iced tea
- Lite (sugar-free) lemonade
Don’t forget fun camping activities to help burn off the extra calories you may be tempted to consume. Hiking, swimming, and canoeing/kayaking are all excellent forms of activity!
Enjoy your summer travels!