Overcast
75°FOvercastFull Forecast

NSA director: Programs disrupted dozens of attacks

Published: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:47 p.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:52 p.m. CDT
Caption
(Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif., center, speaks to reporters as he arrives for a closed all-member briefing on the NSA on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The director of the National Security Agency says surveillance programs have disrupted or helped disrupt dozens of terrorist attacks.

NSA director Keith Alexander defended the programs at a Senate hearing on Wednesday.

Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont says some details of two cases have been declassified. He pressed Alexander for numbers on other incidents.

Leahy says the intelligence community believes that these surveillance programs are critical, but he adds that he thinks they should not be made permanent and that Congress should be able to review and debate them periodically.

A former contractor, Edward Snowden, leaked information on the programs last week.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

Do you support term limits for statewide lawmakers?
Yes
No