Council approves engineering work for McCullom Lake Road improvements
McHENRY – The city will repair sections of 25 roads in different areas of the city.
The McHenry City Council approved the list at its meeting Monday evening and voted to seek bids on the project, which would involve routing, cleaning and sealing cracks in the streets.
The city has budgeted $30,000 in motor fuel tax dollars for the project on top of its other capital improvements for the year, according to city documents. Sealing cracks in the road extends the life of the roadway and prevents damage from expanding.
The roads, mostly residential, are scattered over the city from Veterans Parkway and Savoy Lane in the south to Tomlinson and Whiting drives in the north.
The council also approved an agreement, paying HR Green $125,000 of motor fuel tax funds to do the engineering for the first two parts of a three-part improvement of McCullom Lake Road.
The proposed improvements include new sidewalks along the south side of McCullom Lake Road from West Lakeshore Drive into Peterson Park, updated traffic signals at the Blake Boulevard intersection, a left turn lane for northbound McCullom Lake Road into Peterson Park and resurfacing more than a mile of McCullom Lake Road.
The city received a federal grant through the McHenry County Council of Mayors, awarding up to $964,530 for the improvements. It will cover 80 percent of the construction costs plus engineering for the third phase. The city has to cover the remaining 20 percent and all the engineering for the first two phases.
Construction would start in June 2014.