Illinois Nutrition Assistance program now closed

Published: Monday, June 24, 2013 5:30 a.m. CDT

SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Human Services said it’s no longer accepting applications from flooding victims for its federal disaster nutrition assistance program.

The department last week provided more than $7.6 million in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program funds to 61,000 Illinois residents affected by spring flooding. Thousands of residents lined up at social service centers around the state to receive the vouchers to purchase groceries.

Residents could qualify for up to $668 in vouchers. The average agency payout was $380.

To get benefits, victims had to have suffered damage to their homes or businesses and seen a reduction in income as a result of April and May storms.

State officials said the majority of recipients were from the Chicago area.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

How much do you plan to spend on landscaping this year?
less than $100
$100-$300
$300-$500
more than $500