State

Illinois Nutrition Assistance program now closed

SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Human Services said it’s no longer accepting applications from flooding victims for its federal disaster nutrition assistance program.

The department last week provided more than $7.6 million in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program funds to 61,000 Illinois residents affected by spring flooding. Thousands of residents lined up at social service centers around the state to receive the vouchers to purchase groceries.

Residents could qualify for up to $668 in vouchers. The average agency payout was $380.

To get benefits, victims had to have suffered damage to their homes or businesses and seen a reduction in income as a result of April and May storms.

State officials said the majority of recipients were from the Chicago area.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.