Local

Unattended cooking leads to small McHenry fire

McHENRY – A pot of chicken cooking on a stove left unattended on Monday led to a small fire in an apartment at 1307 N. Richmond Road, the McHenry Township Fire Protection District said.

A lot of smoke was coming out of the first-floor apartment when firefighters were called at 4:20 p.m., Lt. David Harwood said.

Police had to shut down Richmond Road for about 25 minutes as crews worked.

The chicken that was cooking on the stove was left unattended for about an hour and 20 minutes, boiled over and led to the small fire, Harwood said.

Firefighters removed the pot and cleared the smoke from the property, Harwood said.

The fire department left the scene shortly before 5 p.m.

No one was hurt, and there was no structural damage. However, there was minor smoke damage, Harwood said.

– Joseph Bustos

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.