Summer activities heat up in county
As summer heats up, so do the sporting and music events, festivals and agri-tourism opportunities in McHenry County.
The 21st MCYSA/Nations Baseball Summer International Championships take place July 26-Aug. 4. Games will be played on fields throughout McHenry County with the majority at Lippold Park in Crystal Lake. A total of 128 teams from the U.S., Aruba, Bonaire, Brazil, Japan, Lithuania, Puerto Rico and Sri Lanka will compete in three age divisions. Admission is free, so grab your family and head out to Lippold Park to enjoy America’s favorite pastime! For information, visit www.MCYSASports.org or call 815-236-1979.
* * *
Hard Charge Chicago/Milwaukee is coming to the Richmond Hunting Club on Aug.10. Hard Charge courses are four to six miles long and feature various military-inspired obstacles, including mud bogs, pools of ice water, piles of tires, walls, ropes and tunnels. Participants can navigate the “Fun” heat at their own pace, or compete in the “Glory” heat where top individuals and teams earn the chance to be featured in the final televised Charge Championships. Admission is free for spectators to watch the races, cheer on their favorite racers and attend the post-race party with music, food, beverages and merchandise; parking is $10. For information, visit www.HardCharge.com, or call 701-261-4440.
* * *
Recommended as a Summer Stages destination by the New York Times, the 27th annual Woodstock Mozart Festival, with its extraordinary chamber orchestral performances, takes place July 27- 28, Aug. 3 -4 and Aug. 10-11. The festival at the Woodstock Opera House showcases internationally recognized guest artists and conductors performing the music of “Mozart and More.” For more information,visit to www.mozartfest.org, or call 815-338-5300.
* * *
McHenry County has many other events over the next month, plus agri-tourism sites.
• July 25-28, Algonquin Founders’ Days, Algonquin Lakes Park, Algonquin
• July 26-27, Tri-County Pro Rodeo, Milky Way Park, Harvard
• July 31 – Aug. 4, McHenry County Fair, Woodstock
• Aug. 2-4, McHenry Rotary Blues, Brews & BBQ, Petersen Park, McHenry
• Aug. 4, 23rd annual Vintage Transport Extravaganza, Illinois Railway Museum, Union
• Aug. 10, Blast on the Beach, Main Beach, Crystal Lake
• Aug. 10-11, Band Organ Rally, Illinois Railway Museum, Union
• Aug. 16-18 and 24- 25, Day Out with Thomas, Illinois Railway Museum, Union
• Aug. 22-24, Woodstock Jazz Festival, Stage Left Café, Woodstock
• Aug. 1, Grace Farm Studios opens for you-pick raspberries, Woodstock
• Aug. 2, Richardson Adventure Farm opens, Spring Grove
• Aug. 9, Royal Oak Farm Orchard opens, Harvard
• Aug. 31, All Seasons Apple Orchard – Pumpkin Patch – Corn Maze opens, Woodstock
• Currently open: Stade’s Farm & Market, McHenry; Twin Garden Farms, Harvard; Von Bergen’s Country Market, Hebron; Patyk Farms, Richmond; and Red Barn Farm Market, Woodstock
For more information or for a 2013-14 McHenry County Visitors Guide, visit www.visitmchenrycounty.com, or call 815-893-6280.
• Jaki Berggren is executive director of the McHenry County Convention and Visitors Bureau.